Adelaide Harriers - Membership
The 2023/2024 membership season is open online and due for ALL members.
Register now in September for early bird prices. Prices go up in October.
This 2023-24 season- the Club is 120 years young and still going strong.
Adelaide Harriers Athletic Club
WHO ARE WE?
The Adelaide Harriers Amateur Athletic Club is the oldest such club in South Australia with hostory dating back over 100 years. The club is affiliated with Athletics SA providing an opportunity for members to participate at state and national level. At the same time we have facilities and coaching for runners competing at the fun level and those for whom their running is just about keeping fit.
WHAT DO WE DO?
Our club is very strong in distance running, but we do cater for all distances summer and winter. We have a large number of masters athletes and a very even gender balance.
The club has strong links with the Adelaide Harriers Little Athletics Club and the South Australian Masters which use our South Parklands facilities. Through these relationships we provide transition pathways from junior to senior athletics.
Throughout the year the club has a range of informal social activities usually revolving around meals after training or post race coffees or drinks. We believe this provides a friendly and low pressure social environment where members make their own decisions about how they personally want to interact with other members and the club. Our Facebook page (Adelaide Harriers) gives an insight to the social side of the club and is also a key club communication tool.
WHERE DID IT ALL BEGIN?
The Adelaide Harriers Club was founded in 1913 by a group of enthusiastic athletes belonging to the former Archer Street Harriers. It was initially named the North Adelaide Harriers and Walking Club, but in 1914 was renamed the Adelaide Harriers and Walking Club. In 1913 club race meetings were held in the North Parklands until transferred in 1914 to Victoria Park racecourse before moving to our present site in 1921. The original track was of couch grass and in 1932 the track was fully enclosed with iron fencing. In 1950 the old five-lane grass track was replaced with cinders. In 2010 faced with an inability to source cinders the track was returned to grass. The current clubrooms were established in 1987 and although the design of the club uniform has altered over time, our colours have remained the same throughout the years, red and white.